Monday 1 March 2021

A lesson from Stanislaw Baranczak (poetry from Poland cycle)

 Stanislaw Baranczak (pron. Staneeswaf Baranchak) (1946-2014) was a leading poet of the so-called “Generation ‘68” (Baranczak himself coined that phrase). 1968 was the time of the hippies and student demonstrations all over the world, but in Poland it was for many people the year of disillusionment. In March that year Polish students demonstrated against the communist censorship and restrictions at universities, while the government sent the riot police against them and imprisoned its leaders. For people like Baranczak (himself a student at the time) this was a shock. From early on the subject of his poetry is the confrontation between ordinary people and an oppressive government.

Baranczak became a lecturer at the University of Poznan, but in 1976 he joined the dissident movement and was sacked from his post. The dissident movement included the uncensored underground publishing movement, which was a new phenomenon, since then poets like Baranczak could write without taking censorship into account. Political allusions (present in Herbert’s early poetry) went out of the window, poets could write openly about the secret police entering a poetry meeting.

Although Baranczak lost his job at the University of Poznan, he was considered one of the world’s best scholars of Slavonic literature and was offered a post to teach this subject at Harvard University in Boston. In 1980 the Polish authorities allowed him t leave the country and Baranczak has lived in Boston ever since.

I knew him quite well when I lived in Poland. The country was under the Communist regime and we were both dissidents, I was a student and he was an university lecturer who lost his position because of his activities. He didn't stop giving lectures, the students organised meetings in private houses and Stanislaw carried on teaching in the underground.

At that time he was already a famous poet. I thought I might be a poet, too. One day I took what I thought were poems and asked Baranczak what he thought of them. He told me to leave them with him and come again a week later. When I did, he gave me the following advice:

“When you write a poem, read it again two weeks later and cross out all words that are not necessary.”

I went home and applied this procedure to my poems and they disappeared. This is how I did not become a poet. I am very grateful to Baranczak for this advice.

However, when I settled in England and was surrounded by all those books in English, including books of poetry, and I wondered how they might sound in my mother tongue. So I wrote them anew, in Polish. Years passed, at one point I realised that I had lived in England more than a half of my life. Then I started doing the same, but the other way around: writing in English what I knew in Polish. Naturally I tried to render in English what influenced me when I was younger. Poems by Baranczak were among those things.

The poem titled "With one breath" was one of the most influential poems of my generation in Poland, whereas "The evening of poetry reading" was an actual even at which I was also present, when the secret police entered, arrested all those present and detained them for 48 hours.


WITH ONE BREATH

With one breath, with one bracket of a breath closing a sentence

with one bracket of ribs around the heart

closing like a fist, like a net

around the narrow fish of breath, with one breath

to close all and to close oneself in all with

one thin slice of a flame shaved from lungs

to torch the walls of prisons and breathe in the fire

behind the bone bars of the chest, into the tower

of the windpipe, with one breath, before you choke

gagged with the thickening air

of the last breath of a man who is shot

and of the hot breath of gun barrels, and clouds

of steaming blood spilled on concrete

the air, which carries your voice

or muffles it, swallower of swords

the side arms, bloodless but bloodily

wounding the throat of brackets, between which

like a heart between ribs, like a fish in the net

flutters a sentence stammered with one breath

until the last breath



A SHOT BROUGHT ME DOWN TO EARTH

A shot brought me down to earth

a shot in a dark alley

a dark negation behind a shaken window pane

it got me, shot though, brought down when I was having high dreams

in an ant-like stampede, where all muscles agree

supported by the stirrup of loudly pumping blood

with the harness of tendons barely restraining

with the bridle of tongue in the mouth

it brought me down to earth

this gunshot with its dark, sober vowel of negation

my hand grabbed the throat shot through

the same fingers which

there, in the dark alley

held the neck of the rifle and

the same which grabbed the earth

into a fist very tight, as if they wanted the Earth

knead into a cobblestone and throw it at me

this shot through down the sleepy acceptance

of my body when it ran towards the greedy meadows

and, in each moment

shot through with a volley

of my own blood, which from veins' dark alleys

gushed impatiently, multiplied in light

I saw

myself as I fell on the tarmac with the throat shot through

with the bridle of the tongue turned into a gag

wet with the words written into my body

by a lead bullet



IF YOU HAVE TO SCREAM, DO IT QUIETLY

If you have to scream, do it quietly (walls

have

ears), if you have to love

turn the light off (your neighbour

has

binoculars), if you have to

live somewhere, don't close the door (the authorities

have

warrants), if you

have to suffer, do it in your own house (life

has

its rights), if

you have to live, limit yourself in everything (everything

has

its limits)



NOBODY WARNED ME

Nobody warned me that freedom may also mean something like

sitting at the police station with a rough book of my own poems

hidden (how clever it was) under my underwear

while five civilians with higher education

and still higher salary waste their time

analysing some rubbish taken from my pockets

tram tickets, a laundry receipt, a dirty

handkerchief and a mysterious (that's a good one) loose page:

„carrots

can of peas

tomato paste

potatoes”


and nobody warned me that captivity

may also mean something like

sitting at the police station with a roughbook of my own poems

hidden (how grotesque!) under my underwear

while five civilians with higher education

and even lower IQ are allowed

to touch the entrails torn out of my life

tram tickets, a laundry receipt, a dirty

handkerchief and even (no, I can't stand this one) this page:

„carrots

can of peas

tomato paste

potatoes”


and nobody warned me that the whole globe

is the space between these two opposite poles

between which really there is no space at all



EVENING OF POETRY

They came, because there are certain things and anyway it is your own fault, gentlemen.

They entered, because there are certain laws and I don't think you'd like us to break in.

They stopped the reading, because there are certain words and we we'll give you an advice..

They confiscated the poems, because there are certain limits and lets agree.

They checked everybody's documents, because there are certain regulations and you better don't stretch our patience.

They searched the flat, because there are certain rules and please calm down this child, madam.

They took with them certain people, because certain things have to be done and don't worry, your husband will be back in two days.

They didn't hit anybody, because there are certain forms and oh yes, you'd like it, wouldn't you, gents.

They didn't work too long, because there was certain film on the telly and after all we are humans too.



CLEAN HANDS

Fingers of a young officer of the Security Service

who in his office at the railway station looked through

drawings of Jan Lebenstein dug out from the depths of my luggage

and every so often looked at me with reproach

did not leave any marks on paper

Strange


Not that I would expect stains of blood, smudges of sweat, dirt

or even greasy fingerprints supposedly left on books

by the Great Teacher of Humanity, who liked to read while eating;

the work of the young officer of the Security Service

is clean

he himself has Masters degree in law

and habits of personal hygiene acquired at

his well bred

middle class family


However

it would be more natural if they left

in our poems, drawings, diaries and brains

perhaps just as a souvenir

their unique (fingerprint) sign

of the most meticulous conaisseurs of modern art

especially when they save it from annihilation with one reluctant sentence:

O.K., you can keep this,

we don't have to confiscate it.”



If you would like to read these poems (and some more) on paper, 

You can get a printout of my book "POLISH INSPIRATIONS"




No comments:

Post a Comment